Hotel Mar y Sol ****
Price from € 45, – a day
for 1 person with half board
- Designed specifically for the needs of disabled
- Two big pools with hoist, one heated all year round to approx. 32ºC
- Set in a totally accessible environment with a wide range of equipment, care and accessible excursions
- Is ideally situated for all the restaurants, bars, shops and beaches
Spa & Sport Hotel Mar y Sol
The construction of the Mar y Sol reflects authentic Spanish-style architecture. It is built on two and in places three levels, and is accessible throughout by lifts. The few steps you come across within the complex can be avoided using the existing ramps.
The apartment hotel is situated approximately 400m away from the 8 km long sea-promenade and is constructed on slightly elevated ground and built on different levels around an impressive pool area. Because the way down to the sea is sloping, it is very easy to reach the beach and the center of town.
Returning to the hotel may present problems for guests with restricted mobility but this can be overcome by using either an electric wheelchair or our free shuttle-service.
- Various standards of one bedroom apartments and studios with sitting room and fully equipped kitchen
- Apartment-suite bathroom with roll-in shower, shower chair and grab rails
- Spring temperatures all year round offer a perfect holiday climate
- Wheelchair-accessible accommodation throughout; all rooms have bathrooms with wheel-in shower
- Most bathrooms are also equipped with elevated toilet and with grips
- Two big pools with hoist, one heated all year round to approx. 32ºC
- Lava center run by medical experts providing a range of therapies and treatments.
- Scuba diving lessons available in the pool or sea.
- Appliances for hire (electric beds, hoists, air-mattresses, electric wheelchairs, etc.)
- 24 hours emergency service
- Excursions for all
- Accessible sports hall 530 m²
- Shuttle-service to the wheelchair-accessible Beach, 5 days a week, 1 x per day
- Open-kitchen with two cooking-plates and a large fridge
- Bathroom with wheel-in shower some with elevated toilet and grips
- Hairdryer, all with a small rotating trolley-container for bathroom accessories
- living-room with sofa bed, extendable second bed, dining-table and chairs
- A fan is available upon request (no air conditioning)
- Telephone, TV and safe
- Balcony with garden table and chairs
Compact economy single-room accommodation with: open-kitchen with two cooking-plates and a large fridge, as well as a single sofa bed with an extendable second bed, a side table with a wicker chair, a dining-table and chairs and a built-in wardrobe.
Two-room accommodation with separated living and bedroom area, accessible bathroom and balcony or patio. The living-room has an open-kitchen with two cooking-plates and a large fridge. This room is furnished with a single sofa bed with extendable second bed, a coffee-table with a wicker-chair, a dining-table and chairs and a sideboard. The bedroom has two single beds (height: 50 cm) with bedside-tables, a built-in wardrobe and a chest of drawers.
Superior Apartment (25m²)
Modern and spacious two-room accommodation with living and bedroom area, large bathroom and balcony or patio.The living-room is furnished with a single sofa bed with extendable second bed (2x200x90cm), a coffee-table with a wicker-chair, a dining-table and chairs, a sideboard and an open-kitchen with two cooking-plates and a large fridge. The bedroom has two single beds (height: 50 cm) with bedside-tables, a chest of drawers and a large built-in wardrobe containing the safe. The entire bathroom floor is non-slip.
Modern, compact, single-room accommodation with: open-kitchen with two cooking-plates and a large fridge, as well as a single sofa bed with extendable second bed (2x200x90cm), a coffee-table with wicker-chair, a dining-table and chairs, a chest of drawers and a large built-in wardrobe, which contains the safe. Comfortable washbasin with angled mirror placed just above it. The entire bathroom floor is slip-resistant.
Comfort Room (38m²)
Equipped like a typical hotel room this is a comfortable one-room accommodation with: open-kitchen with two cooking-plates and a large fridge.
All of the comfort rooms have two single beds with their bedside-tables and most of them also have a single sofa bed (1x200x90cm). Dining-table with chairs, or alternatively, a coffee-table with wicker-chairs. Close to the spacious chest of drawers, there is a large built-in wardrobe which contains the safe. Washbasin with angled mirror placed just above it. The entire bathroom floor is slip resistant.
Premium Apartment (45m²)
Modern, spacious apartment with two accommodation areas. It has a living-room, a separated bedroom, a large bathroom and some have a large balcony-patio.
The living-room has a single sofa bed with extendable second bed (2x200x90cm), living-room table with wicker-chair, a dining-table and chairs and a spacious sideboard. Additionally it has an open-kitchen with two cooking-plates and a large fridge.
The bedroom has two single beds with bedside-tables and a large built-in wardrobe, which contains the safe, and a chest of drawers. Washbasin with angled mirror placed just above it. The entire bathroom floor is slip resistant. Balcony with extra garden table and chairs.
- Manual/Electric wheelchair
- Electric bed (incl. monkey pole and cotsides)
- Electric hoist
- Monkey pole
- Air mattress (anti decubitus)
- Shower/toiletchair (commode)
- Raised toilet seat
- Rollator / Walking frame
- Home and medical care can be arrange.
For the complete list of possibilities and prizes see www.lero.net.
On the island is also a dialysis Center that is open for tourists.
Teide National Park:
There is one completely accessible route – Roque de Caramujo Path; the Alto de Guamazo path is accessible with the help of a friend or guide. There are several practicable viewpoints, and the botanical gardens and visitors center are also accessible.
Tenerife’s natural routes and paths:
A holiday in Tenerife does not have to stop at the beach and day trips to the coastal resorts and capital. Aside from a trip to the Teide National Park, there are several recommended routes, which take you through some of the island’s most stunning and natural landscapes.
One that has a fully accessible route is the Sendero de Agua Garcia. Situated in the Agua Garcia forest in the region of Tacoronte, you find this fully adapted pathway to 850m. There is an average slope of 6% and five resting spots. Thereafter the rest of the pedestrian route is practicable, as is the car park.
There are two companies on Tenerife that offer specifically-adapted cars for wheelchair user.
There are several taxi companies that offer vehicles with access ramps for wheelchairs.
“Playa de las Vistas”
Tenerife’s beaches are extremely well-equipped and barrier-free to all visitors. The region of Arona especially Playa de las Vistas, has won an award for its accessible beach facilities.
Los Cristianos boasts Europe’s largest barrier-free pedestrian sea promenade, which runs for seven kilometers. It’s beach is completely barrier-free with accessible walkways and routes, wooden fixed and roll-up pathways, entrance ramps (6%), accessible toilets and changing rooms, aquatic chairs and crutches, sea accompaniment and amphibian wheelchair services.
Whale & Dolphin Watching
These excursions leave every day from various ports in the south. There are two boats with accessibility for wheelchairs. Bottlenose Dolphins and Pilot Whales are the most numerous but it is also possible to spot others, such as Sperm or White Whales.
In Costa Adeje makes up an excellent combined leisure and entertainment offer. This is the only Water Park and Dolphinarium in Tenerife and is situated in one of the most tropical tourist destinations of the island.
In the south of Tenerife are a complex of pyramid structures astronomically positioned by the winter and summer solstice.
The park offers its visitors a chance to contemplate these amazing constructions, a surprising resemblance of the architecture to those found in Egypt, Cerdena, Sicily, South America and other parts of the world.
Located in Puerto de la Cruz, its facilities include 135,000 square meters, which means that they can house the big and the small. Although when it first opened, this theme park received its fame due to its magnificent collection of parrots, the largest in the world, today it provides a home to a number of species that live in this subtropical park which reproduces their natural habitat.
Parque Las Aquilas – Jungle Park
Is a fantastic zoological and botanical park with 75,000 m² of jungle and over 500 animals.
Diving therapy for the handicapped
Promotes an increased feeling of well-being, something hard to achieve using more conventional therapy methods.
Body functions such as breathing and circulation improve. The movements, possible in the water, may help to prevent the onset of the tendency of the bones to fuse which may stiffen the spine, counter muscular spasm and improve sitting balance and general muscle tone. The water pressure improves blood circulation through the veins and the absorption of tissue in the blood.
If you are not sure whether diving is the right thing for you
Just give it a try under the watchful eye of qualified diving instructors in the 32 ºC swimming pool. Professional Open Water-Courses in the Atlantic Ocean welcome you to the fantastic world of weightlessness. Even those with very restricted mobility can take part in this unique (sport) activity.
These photographs are examples and due to the great variety of rooms differences can occur.
- Mobility transfer (If you wish, by wheelchair) at the airports
- Flight price depending on airport and the time of year from € 200,– till € 500,– per person
- You are allowed to bring your own mobility equipment like wheelchair, Hand-Bike, etc.(max 2) and medical luggage up to 15 kg free of charge
(doctors declaration not older than 3 weeks needed)
- Wheelchair Transfer for 1 – 4 persons from and to the airport to your hotel
Wheelchair groups transfer € 75,–
Private wheelchair transfer € 105,–
- Stay in room with double bed for 1 till 3 persons (see table)
- 24-Ours-hotline for trouble assistance at your holiday
- Booking fees €25,-, airport tax and local tax